Last night at the Web 2.0 summit, GE’s Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt unveiled the new Vscan ultra-smart, ultra-small, ultrasound that may one day become as indispensable as the traditional physician’s stethoscope in patient exams. The thinking behind Vscan is that costs can come down with fewer specialist referrals. Doctors can make a better diagnosis faster. And more patients can access the critical scans they need. Each of those goals is embodied in GE’s new healthymagination business strategy, which is in the spotlight for two weeks during a technology showcase that GE is currently hosting in Manhattan. In the video below, Mike Barber, Vice President of healthymagination, provides a closer look at the new Vscan technology.
Pocket-sized technology like Vscan has the potential to help redefine the physical exam and improve patient care by enhancing a doctor’s ability to quickly and accurately make a diagnosis. For critical care clinicians, Vscan can offer an immediate look beyond patient vital signs with the potential to identify critical issues, like fluid around the heart, which could be a sign of congestive heart failure. And for cardiologists, Vscan provides a dependable visual evaluation of how well the heart is pumping at a glance, so they can treat patients more efficiently.
* Read “GE Plans to Sell Phone-Size Ultrasound Device in 2010” from Bloomberg
* Read “GE unveils handheld ultrasound machine” from AP
At 12:45 p.m. yesterday, GE Reports will host a live webcast of Jeff Immelt’s press conference, which is being held at GE’s healthymagination technology showcase in Midtown Manhattan.
Read our recent stories from the new healthymagination technology showcase:
* “Vscan pocket-sized, ultra-smart ultrasound unveiled”
* “A breakthrough decision support solution for docs”
* “Tackling access with Brivo imaging technologies”
* “The business of bringing healthymagination to market”
* “At the showcase: Health by design and window tweets”
* “Scintillating tech: The world’s 1st high-def CT scanner”
* “Healthymagination tech showcase kicks off in NYC”
Check out photos from the healthymagination showcase on Flickr.